Why is Rum such a popular drink?
Well, that’s because rum is the most versatile spirit in the world. From classic Daiquiri to the Dark and Stormy to the mint-tinged Mojito, or simply coke and rum, there is something for all and for all occasions! What’s more, Rum has always been a popular drink, an old-time favourite, the first drink and a medicinal one. Too many special descriptions for the ever so popular drink-Rum!
With the rising cocktail movement, rum has once again proved to be the favourite. An aged spirit that tastes great and quite diverse too. So what more do you need. It’s the rum season all over again!
Basically, Rum is a “distilled spirit made from sugarcane and its derivatives.” There is a huge range available and with the different aged spirits, flavours and mixes.
While there are many types of Rum, they are mainly divided into fermented and distilled sugar-based drinks. Here are a few:
Dark Rums: Famous in Jamaica, these are known for their strong flavour. Typically, these are aged for long periods and in charred oak barrels. The flavors are absolutely delicious and they are expensive because they are smooth with a spicy flavour. This is generally had without any other add-on. This is to be had neat.
Light Rums are colourless but often filtered after the ageing process. This is a favourite as many popular cocktail recipes are made with light rum.
Amber Rums get their exquisite colour after being aged in bourbon whiskey oak barrels. The soft golden hue, adds to its look and though a popular drink, it is affordable rum.
Overproof Rums are really strong. A popular drink that goes well with water, coconut water, or grapefruit-flavoured soda.
Spiced Rums are enjoyed neat with ice and the flavours of the spices really make it a great choice while mixing drinks.
With so much variety, it is good to say that the world of rum is as interesting as that of wine or whiskey. Today, Rum is once again proving to be a hot favourite, it’s rising popularity has made it the most preferred choice of drink; more and more people are enjoying the versatility of this drink.
It is not surprising that people now prefer Rum to carbonated, fizzy drinks.
Taste, Health or Both?
There are enough reasons why we’ve got our money on rum. Rum is one of the oldest spirits available. Who can forget the much loved ‘tot rum’ given to soldiers that help them warm their bodies and bones?
And here’s to more of Rum!!!
- According to numerous studies, drinking rum in moderation works well for the heart. Yes, you read that right!
- Consuming a small portion of rum can give relief to your throat as rum is high in antibacterial properties that help heal cold effectively
- Rum’s medicinal properties have proven beneficial in lowering the risk of diabetes
- When consumed in moderation, rum can help fight and prevent muscle pain
- Similarly, those with low immunity are advised to take a sip or two of the drink
- Rum is a great antiseptic; an effective painkiller when applied topically and well, while consumed too
- Reduces the risk of mental disease
- Research has also shown the health benefits of rum consumption that helped in preventing thyroid cancer and lymphoma.
- In addition to its warming and calming properties, rum is an effective sedative
- A few studies also point out that moderate consumption of rum reduces the risk of depression
- Moderate drinking of rum reduces anxiety, is good for the heart, reduces the risk of dementia; all of this increases an individual’s life span. Drinking it in moderation can possibly extend your lifespan by two to five years!
- Rum connoisseurs will also vouch for the fact that rum, with its smooth texture; sweet and spicy flavour and a very unique taste is the best alcoholic drink for winter. Beat the winter blues with Rum or maybe simply beat any kind of blues with rum!
To sum up, the next time you’re wondering which cocktail to order, consider all that rum has to offer.
Cheers to this versatile drink!!!
SeaSpirits Distillery in Woodinville, Washington is a go-to place to find some of the world’s best rum. SeaSpirits produces only the finest quality of rum. SeaSpirits makes great-tasting rum with the best quality ingredients, state-of-the-art equipment, coupled with the perfect distillation process. Some of their better-known rums are Silver Rum, Spiced Rum, Coconut Rum, and Barrel-Aged Rum. SeaSpirits uses only the highest quality yeast and nutrients when brewing their rum wash from cane sugar. This results in incredibly fine and tasty rums.
Visit SeaSpirits’ Tasting Room in Woodinville and you can experience it yourself…
Try a flavorful rum cocktail at SeaSpirits Distillery and refresh yourself with the best blends to please your palate!
For more information on how you can sample or order our world-class, high-quality rums visit https://seaspiritsdistillery.com/